Baby, grand mum, girl die in Bauchi inferno
Category: NewsThree persons including a woman, her five-month-old grandson and a seven-year- old girl have died following a fire outbreak at the VIP Lodge Extension in Gwallameji area of Yelwa in Bauchi metropolis.
Narrating the incident to newsmen yesterday in Bauchi ,the caretaker of the affected house, Mr Adegoke Adeyinka said, “the fire started from the room of the deceased known as Mama, as a result of an expulsion from a generator kept inside her room when she was asleep with her grandson and a seven-year-old girl believed to be a baby sitter”. Neighbor’s made efforts to rescue the victims but to no avail and by the time fire-fighters arrived, the entire 15-room building occupied mostly by students of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi had been razed down completely.
Adeyinka said the owner of the room was one Mrs. Doris Patrick, a HND II student of Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) Department of the polytechnic. She occupied Room 6 in the apartment but she was not around as she travelled to Kogi State to visit her husband and left her baby and the seven-year-old girl with her mother. Most occupants of the hostel were not around as well. “We were trying to break the door but Mama was also struggling to come out, she was holding the baby and when we eventually succeeded in breaking the door, we saw her on the floor. She struggled to open the door. She was holding the baby, she was weak, and was crying ‘baby’, ‘baby’, referring to Abike, but Abike was burnt to ashes, I could only see her head and parts of her body. It was a very sad thing. The old woman and her grandson died the following day at the ABUTH, Bauchi. The ward head of the area, Sarkin Sabon Galadima, Hassan Ibrahim, described the incident as unfortunate and appealed to the Federal Government to provide a fire substation in the area as they had already experienced three fire incidents in the area this year.